Re: How suppress auto-indenting?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: How suppress auto-indenting?
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:13:31 +0000

RD <rjjd@localnet.com> wrote on Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:35:47 -0500:
> Is there a way to get emacs to omit auto indenting?

> In particular, in c++ mode, I sometimes want to enter a few lines
> without having emacs fiddle the indentation.  It would be nice to have
> a switch of some sort, or can I find out what variables to toggle?

Download CC Mode 5.31.3 from <http://cc-mode.sf.net/release.php>, and
install it.  This is easy, and should take you less than an hour, even
assuming you've never installed Lisp code into Emacs before.

CC Mode 5.31.3 has the toggle C-c C-l which does exactly what you're
asking for.

If you don't want to install a new version for some reason, a workaround
is

   M-: (setq c-syntactic-indentation nil)

(that's "meta colon" followed by entering the Lisp), but it's not very
satisfactory.  Replace "nil" by "t" in the above to reverse the toggle.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter