Need Help Getting Running with LIsp and Emacs

From: Jacob . Lyles
Subject: Need Help Getting Running with LIsp and Emacs
Date: 10 Mar 2006 21:11:11 -0800

Hello,

I recently started using Linux, coming from a Windows XP background.
I'm intrigued by the programming language "Lisp" but I have no idea how
to start programming in it. I need a "For Dummies" guide.

I'm trying to get emacs, SLIME, and SBCL to play nice with each other
on my new Gentoo Linux system. I got some tips over Usenet where some
people told me to edit my ".emacs file". Where is this file located,
and how would I go about editing it?

Thanks,
Jacob