Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:19:33 +0100

Am 15.03.2006 um 15:59 schrieb B. T. Raven:

For example,even if I hide the versions from each other they seem to update the .emacs in different ways (probably due to subtle changes in the side effects of functions or in the use of built in variables. display- time, iswitchb, and recentf-mode work differently. Is there any way that I can parameterize the invocation of the two versions or at least set them up so
as to allow each one to load its own separate version of the dotemacs?

I made the same experience having more than half a dozen Emacsen (four major versions) ... (for fun!)

This is the cure:

        (if (not (string-match "XEmacs" mEV))
            (progn
(setq custom-file (format "~/.emacs-Abrichtung-%d.el" emacs- major-version))
                (load (format "~/.emacs-Abrichtung-%d.el" emacs-major-version))
        ;       (add-hook 'write-file-hooks 'time-stamp)
                (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'time-stamp)
        ))

The German word Abrichtung means something like training, training a horse, i.e. part of a "customisation." mEV is:

        (defconst mEV (emacs-version)
          "Keep the Emacs version string,
           that is needed a few times.")

Before you put this block into .emacs you should copy the recent .emacs file to the new files and remove all non-custom-set- variables and all non-custom-set-faces, i.e. remove from top to the first "(custom-" line. Then remove in .emacs all contents from the first "(custom-" line until the end. Then you'll have some opportunities to adapt the two "training" files' contents to what each version accepts ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

Chicago, n.:
        Where the dead still vote ... early and often!