Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:36:12 +0200

> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:38:12 -0000
> From: "Phillip Lord" <Phillip.Lord@newcastle.ac.uk>
>
> Of course, emacs shouldn't be core dumping, and solving this problem
> seems the best course to me.

Yes, of course.  But to fix a bug, we need to hear the details and
preferably to reproduce it on some of the developers' machine(s).
Which unfortunately didn't happen in this case yet.

> Having said that, I've used this technique for years -- I normally
> use two emacs, one for email and one for everything else (checking email
> from the server can take a while, and emacs is single threaded).

If I wasn't clear: this _can_ work, if one is careful not to put into
their .emacs anything that needs to be executed during startup (as
opposed to after it).  For example, any code added to
window-setup-hook will not work except in .emacs (and site-init.el).

> I agree. The disabled commands option writes to .emacs.
>
> If I may be so bold, I think that this is a problem with emacs.

Feel free to ask for such a feature on the developers' list.  Here, I
just tried to save a naive user some possible grief.