Re: isearch-whole-buffer?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: isearch-whole-buffer?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:56:07 GMT

"xyblor" <fake@invalid.email> wrote in message
eoidnQEUW5yMErjZnZ2dnUVZ_v6dnZ2d@mcgill.ca">news:eoidnQEUW5yMErjZnZ2dnUVZ_v6dnZ2d@mcgill.ca...
> Kevin Rodgers wrote:

Firefox's

> > (defadvice isearch-forward (before beginning-of-buffer activate)
> >   "Move point to the beginning of the buffer; leave mark at previous
> > position."
> >   (beginning-of-buffer))
>
> Thanks for the suggestion; I didn't know about this whole "advice"
> concept. As you pointed out, this solution messes with the point in
> such a way that C-g does not get you back to where you were before the
> search, and I don't think I can live with that.

I'm having trouble imagining why C-s  xxxxxxxxxx... and then C-s again to
force wrapping to the beginning of the buffer doesn't work for you. Even
if the search string (xxxxxx...) is very long, you don't have to backspace
to the beginning to return to the mark. You can just C-x C-x. No?

Ed