Re: Keymap priorities - how do define a global, low-priority binding fro

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Keymap priorities - how do define a global, low-priority binding from a minor mode?
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:54:16 -0400

> I have defined a global minor mode which gives me a bunch of key  bindings,
> among them bindings for `up' and `down'.

> Turns out that the global minor mode overrides local key maps, at  least
> minibuffer-local-map, which defines its own bindings for these keys (which
> I would prefer).

> How do I specify priorities for key bindings? Can I define a minor mode key
> map that does not override the minibuffer map?

No.  Please report it as a feature request.  I think a good change would be
for minor-mode-map-alist entries to have higher or lower priority depending
on whether the minor mode's variable is buffer-local or global.  This way,
global minor mode would get lower priority than buffer-local maps (there's
still emulation-mode-map-alist if you want something or higher priority),
which seem like The Right Thing.

> Is using the global key map from a global minor mode a clean solution??

It's not great, but it's the best we have.

        Stefan