Re: I need UTF-8

From: Fredrik Bulow
Subject: Re: I need UTF-8
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:57:31 +1000

> Tho it doesn't fully support all aspects of Unicode (far from that), it
> doesn't "lack support for UTF-8".  So please explain to use more precisely
> the problem you encountered.

Certainly, I'm using GNU Emacs 21.4.1 with gnus 5.10.7 and I want to read
a Swedish news feed called

http://www.dn.se/huvudnyheter-rss

Article names works fine but when a read the actual articles all åäö characters
are blanked out (which makes the text *very* difficult to read). When
looking in the gnus info pages I found the following note:

>    Note: you had better use Emacs which supports the `utf-8' coding
> system because RSS uses UTF-8 for encoding non-ASCII text by default.
> It is also used by default for non-ASCII group names.

Unfortunately the lisp code suggested by Pascal Bourguignon

> Just put this in your ~/.emacs:

> (setq default-process-coding-system  (cons 'mule-utf-8 'mule-utf-8))

> There are also some other *coding-system variables you can customize
> independently, and have a look at modify-coding-system-alist.

did solve my calamity. And yes, I have installed the "mule-ucs"
package (I use Ubuntu Breezy).

All advice on this matter is appreciated.