merging emacs frames

From: mmuurr
Subject: merging emacs frames
Date: 28 Apr 2006 19:04:12 -0700

Thanks for all the help with my last problem, I finally solved it
thanks to a combination of the responses.

This is probably very simple, but I've racked through google about as
much as I can and have not found a solution.  I'd like to have my
speedbar frame and another frame it's attached to be both in one giant
frame (an X11 system).  I understand that they will be two different
frames within one frame, and I know this is do-able (I've seen both
screenshots of this, and ECB (Emacs Code Browser) seems to do it itself
(basically merging 2 frames into 1 meta-frame).

To make my point more clear, I'd like the speedbar frame to be linked
to another emacs frame, but I'd like both of those frames to be joined
into a single X11 frame.  The editing frame will possibly still be
split into multiple Emacs windows, creating 3 levels of hierarchy:

X11 Frame (top level)
Speedbar Emacs Frame / Editing Emacs Frame (medium level)
Emacs windows within the Editing Emacs Frame (bottom level)

Can anyone point me in the correct direction to do this?

Thanks for any help!