emacs init and mode-maps

From: Andreas Roehler
Subject: emacs init and mode-maps
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:17:34 +0200

After defining a key in my emacs init file

(define-key sh-mode-map "\M-#" 'variable-anlegen)

emacs refused further loading and I got the following error

"Symbol's value as variable is void: sh-mode-map".

Meanwhile I know, that
(require 'sh-script)

in the init file before will solve the problem.

Nonetheless, I consider this error as not appropriate,
as defining mode-keys in init files is a common task.

Suggest to enhance usability/convenience here.

What about to make all mode-maps autoloaded?

Or to give some advice if encountering that error?

Thanks to all participants!

__
Andreas Roehler