dired in one buffer

From: henning
Subject: dired in one buffer
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:53:00 -0700 (PDT)

I would like dired to stay in the same buffer, e.g. when I go up one
directory I would like the present buffer to just clear and be replaced by
the content in the parent folder instead of opening a new buffer. If find it
quite annoying to have a stack of dired buffers open after looking around in
the directory tree... Does anyone know how to implement that? Or am I
missing something?

Cheers