Re: Official emacs-snapshot backport for sarge

From: Angelina Carlton
Subject: Re: Official emacs-snapshot backport for sarge
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 08:44:47 -0400

Romain Francoise <rfrancoise@debian.org> writes:
>   * In case anyone's interested I maintain an official sarge backport of
>     my [1 emacs-snapshot packages], available from [2 here].  It's updated
>     frequently, but not as often as in sid.

Great! I would like to install this as currently I am using a backport
from http://intrigeri.boum.org/ which no longer seems to be available.

>   [2] http://people.debian.org/~rfrancoise/sarge/

is this a repository I can add to my sources? You mentioned it is
updated frequently, (not as often as sid) so if I have to manually
install the .deb's I would have to manually update them also?

>     Note that quite a few Emacs-related packages in sarge don't have
>     support for emacs-snapshot, but in most cases you can safely install
>     the version from etch or sid since they have weak dependencies on the
>     rest of the system.  One regrettable exception is dictionaries-common,
>     so you might want to forcibly prevent it from interfering with
>     emacs-snapshot otherwise it'll shadow flyspell and ispell with old
>     versions.

I am not sure what exactly this means :-\ Do I put dictionaries-common
on hold? I guess really I am asking if there's a step by step process I
should follow to get your emacs-snapshot backport working.

>     (You might not even need external Emacs packages at all
>     since emacs-snapshot already includes Gnus 5.11, MH-E, ERC, rcirc,
>     Calc, Tramp, ido, python-mode, tumme, Org, etc etc.)

The only thing I can think of outside of these is w3m-el which I do use
from time to time, is this something I could install from etch?
Thanks!

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net