Re: All widgets except the scroll bar uses GTK?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: All widgets except the scroll bar uses GTK?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 01:12:06 +0900

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:
> Maybe I only know GTK scroll bars (under Emacs), could you please
> explain how to switch between the directions without moving the mouse?

Right-click click scrolls forward, left-click scrolls backward.  The
middle button usually is used for handle dragging etc.

Clicks work anywhere in the scrollbar, not only in the "trough" areas;
the direction to scroll is determined soley by which button you pick.

>> you can't scroll through a complete file without needing to reseat the
>> mouse in between, you can't control the scroll amount).
>
> You mean that one can more precisely control the amount of scrolling
> with respect to how far on clicks away from the tool bar handle?

No, because L/R clicking totally ignores the "handle" position; it uses
the distance from the top of the scrollbar to determine the amount to
scroll.  In some implementations (I don't know if Emacs is one)
scrolling autorepeats if you hold down the button, and you can vary the
scroll speed in real time just by moving the mouse up and down in the
scrollbar.

It's a _lot_ more ergonomic, and much more precise, than the mac/windows
method of scrolling once you get used to it, though I guess it's not
well suited to a one-button mouse... :-)

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff