Re: Multiple .emacs files

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Multiple .emacs files
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:06:21 -0600

Tim X wrote:
Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> writes:

floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:

I have played a bit with the -u option, but have yet to get it to work
with a config file named .emacsT
   emacs -q -l ~/.emacsT
A bit of a warning: I think I saw someone mentioning that doing the
above was not exactly like switching your init file. What you do with
the above is turn init file loading off and at the same time telling
emacs to load another file. I am not sure but maybe things like
Customize might not work as you expect (not saving to the .emacsT
file).

Someone who knows more can probably fill in here, or you can search
the archives.

I have seen others report exactly this problem, so I think it is a
real concern. In particular, you may find that when you go to save
customize settings, it will fail or save it where you did not expect.
There is a variable that customize uses which may get around this
problem if you set it explicitly, but I seem to remember someone
reporting problems getting this to work as desired/expected.

Two variables, actually: user-init-file and custom-file.  Even if there
are some lingering bugs, it would be a good idea to put something like
this as the the first form in Floyd's ~/.emacsT file:

(setq user-init-file load-file-name)

--
Kevin