Re: Arrowless navigation

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Arrowless navigation
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:31:20 +1000

"Vyacheslav Akhmechet" <coffeemug@gmail.com> writes:

>> Your problem is what ? Configuration problem or just the fact that
>> your habits are changed ? :)
> Just the fact that using C-f and friends simply isn't comfortable
> (unless you have really long fingers). When I use it my left pinky
> ends up on the CapsLock. Reaching towards the F key with my left index
> finger is ok. P and N are also ok (though they're a bit far away from
> each other). However, reaching B is a problem. If I try with my left
> index it's too far away from the caps so it's an uncomfortable
> stretch. If I do it with the right hand I have to move my hands too
> much. I suppose pressing it with the left thumb is ok, but it's also
> pretty uncomfortable.
>
> P.S. I apologize for sending this email to a personal account. I don't
> use mailing lists too often.

Are you using a standard qwerty keyborad? Do you touch type?

I ask as I use the standard bindings and don't tend to use the arrow
keys and don't suffer the problems you seem to experience. However, I
have been a touch typist for over 30 years.

One thing I do is not try and press both the control and letter with
the same hand unless it is "comfortable". So, to hit C-b, I tend to
hit the right control key with my right pinky and b with my left index
finger rather than trying to hit both with the same hand. With C-n and
C-p, I use my left pinky for control and my right index (for n) or
right pinky (for p). Possibly I'm just use to it, but I don't find
this at all difficult. For the alt key, I tend to use my thumb (as I
do for the space) and will often do M-f M-b with just one hand as that
is close and easy.

If you don't touch type, I would strongly recommend learning - it only
takes a few hours and can really help speed things up. As I learnt on
a qwerty keyborad, I'm quite comfortable with it, but friends who use
devorak and other formats swear by them as being better from an
erganomic perspective.

HTH

Tim

--