Re: fatal font problem with emacs

From: BillJosephson
Subject: Re: fatal font problem with emacs
Date: 28 Oct 2006 11:11:50 -0700

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 25.10.2006 um 10:14 schrieb BillJosephson:
>
> > I don't see .xinitrc. But, I don't know what to do with all this.
> > Where
> > to go next, so to speak.
>
> You have somewhere a template for ~/.xinitrc on your system, maybe
> in /etc/X11/xinit ...
>
> When the X server is launched it looks for ~/.xinitrc. If the file
> exists it executes it. By this means you can correct and extend the
> font path, set other time constants or repeat rates or acceleration
> for keyboard or mouse, launch useful X clients and particularly
> choose a Window Manager.
>
> The UNIX help system, i.e. the man and apropos (or man -k) commands,
> can explain more. More resources can be found on the Internet.
>
> If you don't want to learn so much, you can check the look of a font
> in X11 with xfd (or xfontsel) and then invoke GNU Emacs with 'emacs -
> fn <your choice of font> &'. Or you simply filter the output of
> xlsfonts. This way you can find whether the fonts reported exist on
> your system. If they don't, you can select another one to pass on the
> command line.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> "A mathematician is a machine that turns coffee into theorems."

Thanks again Pete. I appreciate your help, and will try one more
question. To summarize, I can control what fonts emacs wants to use,
and I can check to see which fonts are on the system. By googling the
terms you mention, I can learn more about how to do this. This is a
great help, thanks very much.

If I wish to take the approach of obtaining the fonts that emacs seems
to want but can not find, where would I go for that?

Again, I sure appreciate your help....