Re: Need an enabler for a bad habit.

From: William Case
Subject: Re: Need an enabler for a bad habit.
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 18:12:14 -0500

Thanks Kevin;

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 13:17 -0700, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 16:05 +0100, Mathias Dahl wrote:
> >> So, what you want is to be able to click in the echo area (the area
> >> below the mode line) to get the "M-x prompt" (without needing to type
> >> M-x), is it?
> >
> > Essentially, yes.  But I have always thought what you have called the
> > echo area was the mini-buffer in emacs and I don't even need the "M-x
> > prompt".  I just want my cursor blinking in the very first field/column
> > of the echo area.  I will type the command or accelerator keys that I
> > need after the cursor is placed.  I would expect that the cursor would
> > remain at the end of the command line until I push Enter.
>
> The echo area and the minibuffer share that real estate on the screen
> (as is explained in both the Echo Area and Minibuffer sections of the
> manual :-)

Re-read the manual (hadn't read it in 2 years -- if then) regarding echo
area and mini-buffer.  This thread WAS written about the mini-buffer.

To quote the manual "   The "minibuffer" is the facility used by Emacs
commands to read arguments more complicated than a single number.
Minibuffer arguments can be file names, buffer names, Lisp function
names, Emacs command names, Lisp expressions, and many other things,
depending on the command reading the argument.  You can use the usual
Emacs editing commands in the minibuffer to edit the argument text.

   When the minibuffer is in use, it appears in the echo area, and the
terminal's cursor moves there.  The beginning of the minibuffer line
displays a "prompt" which says what kind of input you should supply and
how it will be used.  Often this prompt is derived from the name of the
command that the argument is for.  The prompt normally ends with a
colon."

What I am talking about is that a user has to type a command, or the
beginning of a command, to get the cursor to appear.  I just want the
echo area to turn into a mini-buffer when I click on it and the cursor
to appear in the mini-buffer in first column after the prompt.  I want
everything else to remain the same.

I really do appreciate people taking the time to respond, but it seems
the suggested answers are getting more complex than the original
problem.  I have no intention of giving up emacs because of one 'habit'.

--
Regards Bill