Re: Emacs doesn't load .emacs

From: Hendrik Bilges
Subject: Re: Emacs doesn't load .emacs
Date: 3 Nov 2006 04:28:09 GMT

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> `M-: (find-file (locate-library site-run-file)) RET' will visit the
> actual site file that Emacs 21 is loading, which may give you (us)
> some hints as to why your ~/.emacs file is not being loaded.

This pointed me in the right direction. I already posted the content of
this file earlier, I'll do it again, this time WITH the comments:

-------------
;; Emacsen independent startup file.  ...these first lines are not
;; important here.

;; Package maintainers: do not have Debian packages edit this file.
;; See the policy manual for the proper way to handle Emacs package
;; initialization code.

load "auctex.el" nil t t
load "preview-latex.el" nil t t
--------------

All is working now after commenting out those two lines:

---------------
;; load "auctex.el" nil t t
;; load "preview-latex.el" nil t t

I now ask myself how these lines got into site-start.el. I remember
installing auctex but I don't remember if I added those lines manually or
if they were generated. In the latter case, wouldn't it be a violation of
the indication given in the comment?

Should I paste these lines in my .emacs file, or where do they belong?
What do the parameters "nil t t" stand for? I couldn't find any
information on this.

Thanks, Keith and all you others!