Re: Debian/GFDL

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Debian/GFDL
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:01:33 +0200

> From: Nicolas Neuss <lastname@mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de>
> Date: 10 Nov 2006 18:06:53 +0100
>
> I am uncertain about which is the right direction wrt to the GFDL.

I'm not sure what you are saying here.  ``Right direction'' for what
purpose?  If you just want the documentation for yourself, simply
download it and install it, that's it.

> I am
> relatively sure that RMS has put some thought and legal advice into it, and
> I am also not sure if simple things would work in most countries (e.g. you
> cannot simply give up your rights on creative works in Germany).  On the
> other hand, I find the GDL a very complicated license which probably leads
> to maintenance problems later on.

The problem is not that GFDL is complicated, the problem is that it
includes certain restrictions on modifications to the manuals that are
covered by GFDL, and Debian opposes to those restrictions.

I don't see why private citizens should be bothered by that
controversy, though.