Re: Display corruption with binary files

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: Display corruption with binary files
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:34:04 -0600

From: Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:38:04 -0600

emacs of old (I thought) would 'quote' the characters.  So, if the
file had a control-C, emacs would display ^C and a single forward-
character while the cursor is sitting on the ^ would move two screeen
spaces up to the next character.

I don't think Emacs ever did that.

Is this not done?  Didn't emacs use to do it?

Only if you use hexl, which is why I recommended it to the OP.

We must be talking about two different things or something.

On my Mac system, there is a version of emacs 21.2.1 in /usr/bin/emacs.  I have a bzip tar file.  I type:

emacs foo.tar.bz2

from a Mac "terminal" window (not an X11 window) and it comes up just fine: inside the terminal.  I can move around just like I remember.

The teminal is pretending to be an xterm.  In fact, you can do the same thing inside an xterm, just unset DISPLAY -- otherwise emacs will become an X11 client.

I tried doing the same thing to the GUI style emacs 22.0.50 version but if I do it from the terminal, it complains that it can't find things: encoded-kb... I probably need to set my load-path on the command line somehow.

Anyhow... I know it worked as of emacs 21.  I can't test it on emacs 22 today.

Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems