Re: Why I can't use `info' in emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why I can't use `info' in emacs?
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:04:35 +0200

> From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:27:23 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:25:55 +0100
> >>
> >> Surely the man pages are superior in this instance for a programmer?
> >
> > How is the man page superior?
> >

> Did you look at the excerpts which came up from the context. For a
> programmer bringing up the API it is blatantly obvious, in this case,
> which first stage info is more useful.

I did look at the excerpts.  Perhaps I don't qualify as a
``programmer'', although I'm coding away for more years than I can
remember, but please believe me that it is not obvious to me what you
meant, let alone ``blatantly obvious''.  Please consider explaining
that.

Btw, in case it's unclear, the reason I asked my question is that I'm
trying to figure out what needs to be improved to make the Info system
better suited to programmers' needs, not because I wanted to tease
you.  FWIW, I'm using Info exclusively for many years, and I have yet
to see a single case where man pages are better (except when an Info
manual does not exist).  It could be that the glibc manual needs some
work to make it more useful, but it's hard to guess what to do without
specific details.  For example, what information did you want to find,
and how the Info manual defeated that?