RE: "MIT/GNU/Linux" (was: gnu vs. xemacs)

From: Micha Feigin
Subject: RE: "MIT/GNU/Linux" (was: gnu vs. xemacs)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:59:39 +0200

The operating system is the kernel. GNU is one of the more popular option (but
not the only one) for the tools running over the operating system. I think
GNU/Linux is just RMS being overly pushy and and egomaniac.

> So lemme see...
> (1) "Linux" is just kernel

Linux is the operating system

> (2) GNU/Linux is the operating system formed by running the
> GNU tools on top of that kernel
>
> =>
>
> Actually, we should use "MIT/GNU/Linux", at least when

What about qt etc ?

> including X11 on top of GNU/Linux. I'm sure I wouldn't feel

What if you replace GNU tools? (there are alternative options to most if not
all)