enable-local-variables

From: Eric Twietmeyer
Subject: enable-local-variables
Date: 1 Jan 2007 12:04:08 -0800

Hi,

I just upgraded to emacs 22.0.92.1.  I write C++ code and there is a
local variable "typedefs" that is used for syntax highlighting.  Now
that I have upgraded I find that every buffer I open that has this
local variable "typedefs" in it I am presented with a dialog asking
that I confirm that the local variable is "safe".

I have read through the docs that I can find on this, and I realized
that I can set the "enable-local-variables" value to ":all", and now it
won't ask me any more about these typedefs.  The docs say "don't do
this" (i.e. use the ":all" value) because it is globally unsafe.
However, there doesn't appear to be any way to specify that the local
variable "typedefs" should always be accepted as safe, regardless of
its values.  Each C++ file I visit will have a different value of
"typedefs", so I can't in any reasonable way create a var, val cons
list of safe values.  It would be thousands of entries long.

So is there another way to work around this?  I never have any other
local variables defined in my files, I use emacs purely for writing
code.  I guess I'm just wondering what the expected usage would be in
this case.

Thanks,

-Eric Twietmeyer