Re: MY window tree!

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: MY window tree!
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:59:52 +0100

martin rudalics wrote:

Why not?  The primary purpose of the 'window property is to make the
overlay appear in one and only one window.  Copying the window tree
somewhere else should move the overlay to a new window iff the old
window were deleted.  Perfectly valid.  Copying again from the saved
configuration would not see the overlay any more because it now names
another window.  Valid too.

If you really see a need to copy overlays make it optional.

OK, I have done that.

In any case
there's no need to scan the entire `buffer-list' for overlays.  Any
buffer involved must have been displayed by the old window-tree and must
be displayed by the new window-tree.

I can not see that a buffer that the buffer must have been displayed by the old window-tree. The 'window property might just be there to be shown later when the buffer is displayed in that special window.

Finally, if you really want to separate saving from restoring you have
to decide what to do with buffers that have been changed (window-point
or window-start are no longer valid) or deleted in the meantime.

Good thought, thanks. I have added that.

 > Why should I only investigate those buffers?

Because people may have hundred buffers or more, many of them with
overlays.  Most overlays don't have a window property.

OK, I have made it an option. By default I only investigate those windows that you and Juanma has suggested.