Re: Does grep work in Windows

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Does grep work in Windows
Date: 24 Jan 2007 06:25:27 -0800

On Jan 24, 1:02 pm, "Graham Smith" <myotis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Thanks, that narrows it down, if I re-install emacs I shall know where to
> look.

Some tips:-
* The path is needed exactly to the executable, in Cygwin for example
C:\cygwin\bin\
* The path must be separated by ";"s if a mistake is made in doing this
earlier in the path variable it propagates until the next ;
* A new path only goes into effect when you click OK in the dialog box.
 Then it only goes into effect for new programs from that time.  Ones
currently running are not affected.
* The environmental variables Window gives "system variables" and "user
variables".  For most Emacs purpose this doesn't matter since Emacs
will be run as whatever user you are.  But for some programs it matters
because they run sub-processes as system tasks.