Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?

From: thorne
Subject: Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:47:02 -0800

Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
> Everything.
>
> Including coffee!
>
> http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache:rFz1-BnQCfEJ:www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/coffee.el+coffee.el&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

Where exactly does one obtain an rfc2324 compliant coffee maker, i'd
like to know.

The OP wrote (i forgot his name, sorry):
>> The point of my question is I use emacs to write an occasional bash
>> script or a small C program.  I screw around with beginners level lisp
>> and watch things not work.  But as I read the posts on the mailing list
>> it is obvious emacs is being used for much much more.  Sometimes it
>> seems it has replaced the Gnome or KDE desktop.  Outside of programming,
>> I am having trouble imagining why people would use it.

I use Eshell a lot.

Gnus for nntp and some mail (still haven't found out how to get gmail
working in gnus).  I tend to use emacs in X most of the time, but
usually (though not always) i tend to use gnus in a screen(1) session
from a tty on my server at home.  That way i can just attach to it
from work or on the road and have the same state--no load-up time.
What i am excited about is this thing that is being worked on that
gives multiple tty support: http://lorentey.hu/project/emacs.html.hu .
So, if i understand it correctly, i will be able to run an instance of
emacs in X on my server's desktop, then attach to the same running
instance from work via ssh in tty mode, etc....  That will be cool.

Other than that... i am trying to learn some common lisp, so i use
slime a lot.

I don't watch movies or listen to music through the computer much,
except music at work where i am stuck with Win XP.  I have not looked
into emms yet.  Maybe i should.

The web is the one place where i pretty much have given up on emacs.
I just use firefox.  I use w3 for looking up stuff in the common lisp
hyperspec, because it works ok.  But most of the web is just not very
fun in emacs... for me.  Just not what emacs was designed for, i
gather.

--
þ    theron tlax    þ