Re: Accents through Mac OS Terminal

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Accents through Mac OS Terminal
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 01:13:47 +0100

googlegroups@juicer.orange-carb.org writes:

>> What terminal emulator do you use?
>>
>> I would advise you to upgrade to a more recent, (possibly second hand)
>> Macintosh, so you can run MacOSX.
>
> Sorry for the confusion. I'm on Mac OS X running Terminal.app.

Ah, good.

The problem is that emacs accepts by defaults 7-bit ASCII with the 8th
bit meaning Meta- is pressed.

So if you want to use the 8th bit to encode characters (be it
iso-8859-1 or multibyte like UTF-8), then you need to configure
Terminal.app to send an ESC for Meta- (you can do that in the Window
Preferences of Terminal.app, keyboard pane).

You should also configure the encoding used by Terminal.app, and set
the environment variables LC_ accordingly.  For example, if you use
ISO-8859-1, you could set this environment variable:

LC_ALL=en_US.ISO-8859-1
export LC_ALL
emacs -nw -q

Normally, emacs should pickup these variables to decode the keyboard.

(Of course, substitute iso-8859-1 for the encoding you use and set in
the Window Preferences of Terminal.app; be sure to set the changes for
all the terminal windows).

The mighty hunter
Returns with gifts of plump birds,
Your foot just squashed one.