Re: Xemacs

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Xemacs
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 00:22:46 -0600

"John Oliver" <joliver@john-oliver.net> wrote in message
slrnetcjcj.ckb.joliver@ns.sdsitehosting.net">news:slrnetcjcj.ckb.joliver@ns.sdsitehosting.net...
> I set up several users with the Cygwin X server so they can export the
> display of X apps to their Windows desktops.  One user, who has a
> dual-boot system (Red Hat 8.0 and Windows XP) has a problem with Xemacs
> in both Linux and Windows... she has the icons for things like New
> Document, etc. but does not have the "word" menus along the top... you
> know, File, Edit, etc.  When she first starts emacs, they're there for a
> split second, and then it sort of "flashes" and the menus disappear to
> leave only the icons.  Any ideas why that would be?
>
> --
> * John Oliver                              http://www.john-oliver.net/ *

This is Emacs rather than Xemacs, but the symptom you describe is probably
common to both. It sounds like an init file is turning off this feature.
Look for something like (setq menu-bar-mode nil) in .emacs or _emacs. The
icons sound like the tool-bar (versions > 21). This can be customized
also.

Ed.