RE: function Qs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: function Qs
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 07:27:02 -0800

> apropos only searches interactive functions (those that can be called
> by M-x) by default... but if you give it a parameter:
> C-u C-h a point
> (I just discovered this myself by: C-h f apropos)
> Looks like what you're looking for is point-at-bol and point-at-eol:

Absolutely untrue. `C-h f apropos' gives this:

 Show all meaningful Lisp symbols whose names match PATTERN.
 Symbols are shown if they are defined as functions, variables, or
 faces, or if they have nonempty property lists....

Both `point-at-bol' and `point-at-eol' are listed with `M-x apropos'.

Using `C-u' with `apropos', or setting `apropos-do-all' to non-nil gives you
info about *all* symbols, not just "functions, variables, or faces,..." But
all functions are treated by `apropos' even without `C-u'.

Do not confuse `C-h a', which is bound to command `apropos-command', with
command `apropos'. There are other apropos commands as well: `C-h a
apropos'.