Re: Erase Region and paste in once?

From: Samuel Karl Peterson
Subject: Re: Erase Region and paste in once?
Date: 04 Apr 2007 02:37:37 -0700

"Daniel" <hanmoai@gmail.com> on 3 Apr 2007 18:33:47 -0700 didst step
forth and proclaim thus:

> Hi all,
>
> In general editors, I do copy (ctrl-c) some text in firefox and make a
> region in a editor where I want to replace and paste(ctrl-v) it.
>
> I tried to do in emacs, but I can't find a way to overwrite a certain
> region by doing yank at one time.
>
> Is it possible to do it in emacs?

Anything's possible in Emacs ;)

Behold my lisp snippet:

(defun sams-zap-yank (beg end)
  (interactive "r")
  (delete-region beg end)
  (yank))

Assign it to a key such as:

(global-set-key "\C-cv" 'sams-zap-yank)

Who knows, Emacs may have already had this functionality. I may have
just reinvented the wheel, but eh, it was a small wheel.

--
Sam Peterson
skpeterson At nospam ucdavis.edu