.emacs handling multiple versions

From: address@hidden
Subject: .emacs handling multiple versions
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:15:28 -0500

Hey, gang:

I'm running Carbon Emacs on OS X as my main emacs, thus my .emacs file has a bunch of carbon only hooks in it. However, sometimes I'll use the terminal emacs (shipped with OS X) and the .emacs file causes problems calling things that the terminal version can't handle. I'd like to keep the ability to use both... any suggestions for having the .emacs file know which version is calling it and respond accordingly?

Thanks so much for the help.

PS: I know I can forgo the .emacs file with "emacs -q", but most of my problems occur when some other application calls emacs automatically via the environmental $EDITOR....