Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Patrick Drechsler
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:26:51 +0200

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no> writes:
>> Yep, first thing I did when 21 was out was to add (tool-bar-mode 0)
>> to my .emacs file ...
>
> Gross!  How can you stand the resize flicker?  Put
>
> Emacs.toolBar: 0
>
> into your X resources, as well as startup fonts and geometry.

But what do you do when working on different OSs? As far as I know
there is no ~/.Xresources file in Windows? Until you mentioned the
flickering I didn't even notice it... ;-)

So customizing ~/.emacs.d/init.el with

  '(tool-bar-mode nil)

seems a fair option.

As far as I can see there is no way of putting startup fonts and
geometry in an init.el file that will work with all OSs and
resolutions by default. Please advice me if I missed something
obvious. Currently all my emacs config stuff is in ~/.emacs.d/ and
under version control. And working fine using multiple workstations on
Windows and GNU/Linux (even with windows snapshots of cvs-emacs-22 and
linux-cvs-23-xft).

Cheers

Patrick
--
OS's and GUI's come and go, only Emacs has lasting power.
(Per Abrahamsen)