Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Edward Dodge
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:29:32 -0700

30ish emacs user <kalap.kabat@freemail.hu> writes:

> I'm wondering which age group most Emacs users fall into? How old
> are you? I'm 32.

I'm 38 and I started using Emacs 9 years ago.

> I suppose most of the youngest generation were exposed to some kind
> of graphical editor like Visual Studio or Eclipse and they find
> Emacs alien (those who don't understand...) after using the former.

Outside of a TI-99/4a, the only computers I've had have been
Macintoshes.  And although my degree is in computer engineering, I
didn't get interested in UNIX or Emacs until I attended a class on
them at work at the end of '98.

> The older generations were more probable to be exposed to vim or
> emacs first and they "stuck" with it (know the advantages), not
> migrating to graphical editor land.

At the age of 29, I was pleasantly surprised by Emacs.  I couldn't
believe such an elegant tool was possible.  I now realize there are
better, more specialized tools for each of the different programming
languages.  But none are better than Emacs for general programming and
futzing around in the textual world.

--
Edward Dodge