Re: Another 'best' practices question ??

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: Another 'best' practices question ??
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 18:23:26 +0300

Quoth Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>:
> I'd like to plug ELPA here though.  If enough things are packaged we
> could move away from manually hacking load-path and instead just
> manage packages via a buffer-menu-like mode.  See:
>
>     http://tromey.com/elpa/

Just did what ^^^ tells me to do in my apt-installed 'snapshot Emacs'
(22.0.95) and package-menu-refresh encounters a:

  let: Symbol's function definition is void: read-from-whole-string

error.

Indeed, the only read-from-* functions I have to hand are:

 read-from-string       and     read-from-minibuffer

You may need to include the read-from-whole-string function definition
in package.el as it's clearly not a stock function, or maybe globally
replacing read-from-whole-string with read-from-string in package.el
will suffice.  I don't know because I don't know what
read-from-whole-string is supposed to do.

Or maybe, some version sniffing is all that's needed...

If I had time I'd dig deeper but...

ELPA sounds like a good concept though.

HTH

Sebastian