Re: emacs idiom for sudo

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: emacs idiom for sudo
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 00:18:52 -0400

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> "Rustom Mody" <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
> > Is there a more convenient way for doing 'root-things' than
> > -- get out of emacs (maybe suspend)
> > -- start a shell
> > -- sudo editor (usually vi) OR su ... password... editor

> I use tramp to do this. Essentially, using either a 'su' or 'sudo' tramp
> method
> to edit a local file. This is described in the tramp manual.

What about executing some elisp code as root (obviously including a
password prompt, not just executing it without any question)? Or is
it necessary to just start a whole new Emacs? I didn't see anything
about this in the tramp manual, but I might not be looking hard
enough.

Amy

--
Clovis' Consideration of an Atmospheric Anomaly:
        The perversity of nature is nowhere better demonstrated