Re: Recommend default font for emacs 21.4.1 on linux

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: Recommend default font for emacs 21.4.1 on linux
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 23:38:34 +0530

Yeah wish for the good ol days (Sigh)
When I was a C programmer (and equally haskell, lisp, assembly...) I used a console and left fonts (and X) to the sissies who liked eye-candy.
Today I work with ruby on rails -- involves at any time 10-15 buffers to be **simultaneously** manipulated selected from close to a hundred files.

All to be done on a 15 inch monitor (until Monday when my machine was hacked into when I carelessly left my root open and sshd running!).  Now it wont boot and so I'm on my 14 inch laptop.

Now what is it you were saying about 80 columns ??

On 5/31/07, Bruce Korb <bkorb@gnu.org> wrote:
Rustom Mody wrote:
> How do you folk manage editing code?
>
> I find that with a fixed width font (courier) I run out of screen space

All code is narrow enough to fit on a hollerith card (80 columns).
How could you run out of screen space?