Re: Meta-Characters, Special Characters

From: Gernot Hassenpflug
Subject: Re: Meta-Characters, Special Characters
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:18:01 +0900

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@nict.go.jp> writes:
>> I am happy to note that Windows too stores its iinformation in UTF-8
>> internally, no matter what the user's settings for a particular
>> program may be.
>
> I thought windows used something a bit more annoying and ad-hoc, UCS-16
> or something like that.

Oh, you may be right there, I should have qualified my statement: as
opposed to a Windows-specific charset I think Windows uses a universal
charset. I am not sure why UCS-16 is more ad-hoc than UTF-8, but I
would be more than happy if linux instead of UTF-8 moved to UTF-16 or
UTF-32, in view of the many charsets I need in my work. I am not
nearly educated enough on this topic to hold a coherent conversation
however, still reading.
--
Grrr!!  ...Pick a reason...