RE: Why doesn't Emacs have a horizontal scroll bar?

From: brianjiang
Subject: RE: Why doesn't Emacs have a horizontal scroll bar?
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 20:52:20 +0800

Thanks all.

I tried "scroll-left" and "scroll-right" today,  and found (scroll-left 1) and
(scroll-right 1) [or "c-u 1 c-x <" and "c-u 1 c-x >] work for me (e.g., review
the sdelta files). I think I will add quick key-bindings for them.

But I still think a horizontal bar can be very useful. Maybe many emacs experts
don't use mouse at all :) But for many people, mouse is very convenient for
some tasks.

Also, I think "Truncate long lines in this buffer" is good enough too. It is
not "word wrap". It truncate the words at any position (e.g., "words" can be
truncate to "wo" in current line and "ords" in the next line.) It is really
make the text difficult to read. Any solution for this? (auto-fill can wrap the
text in a word basis, but 1). It doesn't wrap the word based on the window
width, 2). It will modify the file while we don't want to change anything.)

Regards,
Brian