Re: PATH Variable

From: srandby
Subject: Re: PATH Variable
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:20:08 -0700

On Jul 16, 5:25 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> srandby <sran...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I've seen Emacs derided on a number of forums, but those putting
> > down Emacs must not know much of anything about it.
>
> Those loving it are also not likely to know really much about it.
> Would you ask a librarian "and you have read all those books?"?
>
> --
> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

Your analogy lacks substance. It is not a librarians job to provide a
critique of the books in a library. Now, if a librarian were to review
a book in a library, then of course the librarian should have, at the
very least, read the book. Similarly, if one wishes to deride Emacs,
then one should know how to use Emacs and how it works. Yet, it is an
easy matter to find put-downs of Emacs authored by people who clearly
know little or nothing about it. Such put-downs are nothing but
propaganda.

Of course, there is also the case of those who know a great deal about
Emacs and subject others to their rants against it on forums not meant
for such a purpose. These anti-Emacs self-righteous zealots argue
using the in-your-face tactics so popular with television evangelists
in order to hide their weak positions. As they can't find an audience
who is truly interested in what they have to say, these fanatics find
an audience who will almost certainly react against what they have to
say. But this is not done to foster an honest debate about Emacs or to
help others with their Emacs problems, it is done out of a spirit of
arrogance, self-promotion, and ignorance of opposing viewpoints.

Scott Randby