Re: mthesaur v synonyms

From: Hadron
Subject: Re: mthesaur v synonyms
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:48:17 +0200

>> Does anyone have an opinion on what is better?
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/mthesaur.el
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/synonyms.el
>
> Yes, synonyms.el ;-).
>
>> The second is based on the first. The second seems to be "newer"
>> and has a cache so I am going with that for now.
>>
>> Does anyone have a patch to enable the command synonyms to show the
>> word-at-point in the command buffer when I call it using a kbd binding?
>> (It does assume the word at point but just doesn't show it in the
>> prompt).
>
> Not sure what you mean by "in the command buffer". If you mean the
> minibuffer, then just use `M-n' to pull the default value, which is
> the word

I did.

> at point, into the minibuffer as your input. Edit it if you like, before
> hitting RET.
>
> If you also use Icicles, and you want the default value to _always_ be
> inserted in the minibuffer as the initial input, then customize
> `icicle-init-value-flag' to `insert'. I personally prefer that behavior, but
> I think most people do not.

Any command which replies on word-at-point should default it IMO. I have
now got icicles ( cant say I like it at first attempt - there's a lot
there :)) and set the flag as above and its much better. Although if
something is pre-selected then typing should erase it, not append to
it. That would be a nice fix.

Do you know if I can stop f5 being bound by icicles by normal customization?

> If you also use thingatpt+.el, then `synonyms' will pick up the word nearest
> point as the default value - the cursor need not be exactly on a word.

Something else new to try....

Thanks for taking the time to reply.