Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostStript/DVI files in Emacs

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostStript/DVI files in Emacs
Date: 29 Aug 2007 21:44:28 GMT

Tassilo Horn wrote:

hi tassilo,

>> btw, because my screen is rather small (12inch ibook), a converted
>> page isn't shown in full, and i have to scroll down to see the bottom
>> part. (slicing doesn't help, as the screen is just too small.)
>
> You can still slice with:

yes, i saw that function. however, the thing is, the text itself is simply
too large to fit on my screen. ;-) telling doc-view to create smaller
images wouldn't work either, because then the text becomes too small to
read.

>> other viewers (xdvi, xpdf) usually use the space bar to scroll down
>> and jump to the top of the next page if the bottom of the page is
>> shown. usually, DEL or backspace does the opposite.
>
> Implemented.

thanks, i just downloaded the new version. your way of doing it is a bit
smarter than mine. ;-) unfortunately, moving backward from the top of page
X to the bottom of page X-1 doesn't work. the cause seems to be to be what
i would consider a bug in emacs, though.

the problem is that calling (goto-char (point-max)) makes the entire image
disappear from the visible part of the buffer; only the line "Page x of y"
is visible. if at this point i hit DEL to scroll down the image and make it
visible, emacs displays the *top* part of the image, not the bottom part,
which i would expect.

like i said, i think this should be considered a bug in emacs. if the
buffer contents is scrolled down, and emacs needs to scroll an image into
view, it apparently shows the top of the image, even if the image is too
large to be visible all at once. what emacs *should* do in such cases,
IMHO, is show the *bottom* part of an image first, and only show the top
part of the image when the contents is scrolled down further.

btw, defparameter is back again, and you've made a typo:
doc-view-scroll-dows-or-previous-page (twice)

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)