Re: cperl-mode

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: cperl-mode
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:24:10 +1000

Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:

> Goran
> <argoxo@yahoo.com>], who wrote in article
> <mailman.5390.1188205514.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
>> Why cperl-mode in Emacs 22.1 is so slow?
>
> As you see from the pletora of people rushing to help you:
>
>   E2LITTLECONTEXT
>
> There may be many factors affecting the speed; the complexity of the
> Perl script, the version of CPerl mode, the settings currently in use
> in your customization files, the settings in the shipped customization
> files, and, finally, the version of Emacs.
>
> One way of reading your question above is when you exclude all other
> factors (e.g., by running with -no-site-file, and loading
> cperl-mode.el from a known location, and checking the same Perl
> script), Emacs 22.1 is slower than some other (unspecified) version of
> Emacs.
>
> You need to provide enough information for people to start ESP on what
> you meant exactly,

Just to add to the info for th eOP.

I'm using cperl-mode under the latest emacs CVS sources (22.1.50.1) on perl
scripts of an average size around 200+ lines and I've not observed any
speed/performance issues. However, I rarely find it necessary to use the
debugger (I think using trace/step etc is a poor substitute for
understanding and as a rule only use debuggers when the problem is likely
to be related to something like interaction with the kernel, memory,
foreign functions etc). Likewise, I only use the profiler at the end if
performance is an issue.

Just mentioning this to emphasise Illya's point that more information is
required to understand where the performance problem may be.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au