Re: cperl-mode

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: cperl-mode
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:38:02 +1000

Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:

> Subject: Re: cperl-mode

> Goran
> <argoxo@yahoo.com>], who wrote in article
> <mailman.109.1188567372.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
>> Paging C-v, M-v and typing characters is most time
>> slow, no matter the size of file.
>>
>> I have compiled Emacs 22.1.1 from source on Mandriva 2005
>> Linux, kernel 2.6, 512M memory and Debian 3.1 Linux kernel 2.6
>> 384M memory.
>
> You still did not answer "Slow with respect to WHAT?".
>
>> cperl-mode is as shipped with Emacs 22.1.1
>> (defvar cperl-version
>>    (let ((v  "Revision: 5.22"))
>
> This is not the latest version.  ilyaz.org/software.
>
> I saw bugs reports that v22.1 is practically unusable with CPerl (too
> many bugs: syntaxification does not work correct), but not about slowdown.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Ilya

Interesting regarding your reference to reports that cperl-mode is almost
unusable under emacs 22. I've not found this. I have noticed some
fontification that doesn't look correct and do get considerable 'error
messages' reported in the mini-buffer concerning unmatched parens etc, but
yo don't get this if your inserting parens or other delimiters in
pairs. For exmaple, qw/ will give unmatched/unbalanced errors after every
character you insert. I guess its possible this could impact on
performance. However, if you do qw/ /, with point inbetween the /s, then
you don't get the warning/errors after each character you insert.

I tend to use some of the 'hairy' options, which means when I do something
like an if or for/foreach etc, most of the delimiters are automatically
added in matched pairs - maybe thats why I'm not having the problems others
have reported.

I've not noticed any problems with scrolling of pages or any slowness - not
sure if thats because I'm not suffering the same problems or maybe I'm just
naturally slow and therefore don't notice it!

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au