RE: Interactive font changing

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Interactive font changing
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 17:05:15 -0700

> Hello.  Is there a way to interactively change aspects of the font for
> a given buffer or frame?  I know i can customize things, but i would
> like to be able to do something on the order of M-x make-buffer-bold
> RET and have all the text in the buffer be bold, or M-x increase-font
> RET and have the text in the buffer increase.
>
> I am wondering because i am doing a lot of reading etexts in Emacs and
> would like to be able to easily modify the font characteristics for
> easy reading, but not have to change things in custom every time i
> want to go back to, say, using gnus, where screen real-estate is at a
> premium.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SetFonts

For zooming, I use `zoom-frm-in' and `zoom-frm-out', bound to `S-mouse1' and
`C-S-mouse-1'. I also use `doremi-font-size', bound to `C-x t z' (zoom with
mouse wheel or arrow keys).

Note: Apparently Emacs 23 breaks some things regarding font zooming. But
Emacs 20 through 22 should be fine.

For changing the font (choosing a bold font etc), I use `icicle-font' -
`bold S-TAB' etc.

In vanilla Emacs on Windows, `S-mouse-1' gives you the standard Windows font
dialog box. There, you can also pick `Bold' and a font size.