Re: How to use etags-select

From: Scott Frazer
Subject: Re: How to use etags-select
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:33:12 -0400

Rafal Kurcz wrote:
Now it works very fast.
I did the same test as above on the same machine - now I get the list
of tags immediately.
Great thanks for help Scott.

etags-select is now awesome tool. I use it a lot to navigate 2.6.22.6
kernel source.
I also found 2 another problems. They don't seem to be big:

1. Place the cursor on "__free_pages_ok" function declaration (mm/
page_alloc.c:62) and invoke
etags-select-find-tag-at-point. It will lead You to the same tag while
it should lead You to the definition (mm/page_alloc.c:501)

An assumption is made that any taggable items are in fact tagged, otherwise
it becomes complicated trying to sort the two out.  In this case the function
prototype (declaration) wasn't tagged, and since it looks exactly like the
function definition etags-select stops at the first matching line.  If you
invoke etags like:

etags --declarations *.c

it works.  I can't remember off the top of my head what the equivalent in
exuberant ctags is.

2. Place the cursor on "page_map_count(page)" function invocation (mm/
page_alloc.c:433) and invoke etags-select-find-tag-at-point.
It will display among others the "reset_page_mapcount" as a candidate
to jump. I think that it is not a good candidate.
For me it looks rather like TAGS problem since C-u M-. leads You to
that symbol as well.

Although you say in a later message that this is OK, I'm not sure it is.
I think it might be confusing two function names with the same suffix.
It should be an easy enough fix ... I need to create a test case and sort
things out.

Scott