Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:49:13 +0200

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:22:15 -0700
> From: Bruce Korb <Bruce.Korb@gmail.com>
>
> The main novice problem is that I cannot get out of novice mode.
> It does not seem to matter that I've been using emacs for 20 years.
> ``appropos novice'' yields nothing.

How did you come up with the string "novice" as something to look for?
The Emacs manual describes this feature as "disabled command", and
both "M-x apropos disabled" and "i disabled" in the manual find quite
a few hits.

> I just want all these nonsense "novice" confirmation junk turned off
> and I want it easy to find.  Why is that too much to ask?  :(

There was never such a user setting in Emacs.  You always had to
enable each command individually (unless you are an advanced user and
know how to set a function to nil without causing damage).

I can understand why adding such a feature would be a good idea,
though (although I personally never had a need for it in the 20 years
I use Emacs).  Feel free to suggest adding such a feature one the
development list.