Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again

From: Dave Pawson
Subject: Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:21:36 +0100

On 21/09/2007, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> How did you come up with the string "novice" as something to look for?
> The Emacs manual describes this feature as "disabled command", and
> both "M-x apropos disabled" and "i disabled" in the manual find quite
> a few hits.

For me, that sums up one of the quirks of emacs. Its way of hiding
its light under the proverbial bushel.

Each time I come across one of these features (e.g. auto-revert-mode yesterday)
I note it down and am likely to use it.

Has anyone documented the feature list (without going on to extensions)
that is present in the 'out of the box' emacs?
I swear I could use emacs for 20 years and still find out new things
that I could find useful.

RTFM won't cut it Tim <chuckles/>.

I'm not even sure how such a list might be documented. I'd go looking for
auto-revert-mode under 'refresh' or some such.

Is it worthwhile? Probably not if you're content with emacs.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.