Re: void functions network-interface-xxx??

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: void functions network-interface-xxx??
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:30:31 +0200

> From: Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:52:55 GMT
>
> I use official prebuilt GNU Emacs on Windows XP. I get an error
> "void-function" both for `network-interface-list' and for
> `network-interface-info'. Is this a bug? (They are unknown for
> `describe-function', but documented in (elisp)Misc Network...)

This is a documentation bug: these functions are available only on
some systems, which support special ioctl commands that are the basis
for the implementation of these functions (notably, GNU/Linux).
Windows doesn't support that functionality, so the functions are not
available.

I will update the ELisp manual accordingly (and try to look for a
possible alternative implementation on Windows).

Thanks for pointing this out (but in the future, please post this to
bug-gnu-emacs or emacs-devel, not here).