Re: Emacsclient, multiple displays and hanging

From: Andrew Walrond
Subject: Re: Emacsclient, multiple displays and hanging
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:45:05 +0100

>> Greg Detre wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>> When I'm at work, I want to be able to use that same
>>> emacs session on my desktop. So I sit at my desktop and ssh into my
>>> laptop, using emacsclient and 'make-frame-on-display' to bring up a
>>> new emacsclient session on my desktop, continuing where I left off.
>>> The problem comes when I remove my laptop. If I forgot to close all
>>> the running emacsclient windows on my desktop, then emacs on my laptop
>>> hangs (since it's waiting for some kind of X input from the
>>> emacsclient running on my desktop). Obviously the solution is to
>>> always shut all the emacsclients on my desktop before unplugging my
>>> laptop, but I forget about twice a week, and have to kill -9 my laptop
>>> emacs :(

I haven't tried the emacsclient stuff yet, but I always run gnu screen,
then emacs within that. If you lose the connection, you'll just get
'detached' by gnu screen; no hung processes at all. And you can always
reattach with 'screen -r'

I wouldn't be without gnu screen now. And my .screenrc file is almost as
important to me as .emacs ;)

Andrew Walrond