Re: Fullscreen text editor behavior

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Fullscreen text editor behavior
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 19:21:28 +0200

theongoingrealityshow@gmail.com writes:

> I've been trying to get emacs to mimic the popular fullscreen text
> editors like writeroom/darkroom etc. I found this
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1235260
>
> but it does not work well with longlines.el and it inserts hard line
> breaks otherwise, can anyone recommend a way to get a 60 character
> column of text down the center of my screen?

Nobody can argue about style and taste, but to be honest what you want
is not a minimalist way but grossly waste full, sorry that is my
opinion so far, if I'm missing something please explain it to me.

Well, I'd just use auto-fill-mode (the text is filled within 70 chars,
but this is customisable), type C-x 3 (and possible use follow-mode,
with the added advantage of having even more usable screen estate for
the same text).

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm