Re: Nested Lambda function gives error in common lisp, guile, emacs lisp

From: David Rush
Subject: Re: Nested Lambda function gives error in common lisp, guile, emacs lisp but works in scheme. Why?
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 23:27:20 -0000

On Oct 7, 12:02 pm, Pascal Costanza <p...@p-cos.net> wrote:
> Common Lisp (and presumably Emacs Lisp) is a Lisp-2, which means that
> function positions are evaluated differently than value positions.

Now I may be demonstrating a certain amount of historical ignorance
here, but I was under the impression that Lisp-2 referred to the fact
that there were effectively to different *name* spaces, one in which
'ordinary' values were bound and one in which 'callable' values were
bound. However, this text:

> order to treat a first-class value as a function, you have to shift it
> via FUNCALL. In order to yield a function as a first-class value, you
> have look it up with FUNCTION.

Makes it sound  like there are two fundamentally different *types* of
values And FUNCALL and FUNCTION are the type cast operators between
those types. Is this a valid way of looking at this?

david rush
--
opinionated git